Sunday, January 16, 2011

Muscat, Oman: Arrival and First Day Out Exploring










Usually while sailing into a port, something new will catch my eye as being interesting. Or perhaps unexpected. But this rarely happens when we sail into a new port without leaving the country. Take Oman for this perfect example. The port in Salalah was strictly industrial, mostly flat terrain, and without any sign of civilization for many kilometers. As we approached Muscat, the first couple of things immediately noticeable would be the many intimidating peaks with multiple ancient towers and forts securing a white-painted city with a mixture of old and new architecture (that white spaceship-looking thing in the second picture is actually a massive incense burner!) creating a picturesque place, making it hard to believe I was still in the same country. The people here are just as incredibly friendly and hospitable as before, with a lot of them being from other countries like India and Sri Lanka. Even though we are scheduled to be here for only 5 days, I had the opportunity to go out Saturday morning before work with a couple of friends. The main sidewalk is very beautiful as it overlooks the harbor, very near to countless stores, restaurants, and coffee shops. I found out quickly that if you leave the main road, it is easy to loose your way as the city turns into a labyrinth of narrow paths and side streets, which is actually fun if you are in no hurry to go anywhere. Heading back in the afternoon, we decided to stop in the market place (I'll never forget the smell of frankincense) to learn more about the culture. One guy who seemed to only speak Arabic thought it would be in his best interest to show me how to wrap a turban, and put on a white robe, an outer robe and walking stick. Feeling a bit confused on what to do next because I knew there wasn't a chance I would purchase any of this (I imagined trying to get through airport security), the opportunity was taken for a few memorable pictures. I never know what I'm getting myself into after stepping off the ship.