Sunday, February 20, 2011

Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.









For our second Emirate port, Abu Dhabi is known as being more low-key than Dubai; although the tour through the opulent Grand Mosque was certainly anything but low-key, and not to mention an entire theme park dedicated to Ferrari (I was sure not to miss it), appropriately named Ferrari World. Other than that, this city seemed more conservative by holding strong to the Arabic culture. The people were as kind and hospitable as ever, and like Dubai, a major chunk of the population is from other countries.
Because of our short stay of less than two weeks, I only visited one church, which happened to be the first Anglican church I've ever been to in my life. My role was to explain what life is like aboard the Logos and speak about our focus as a ministry vessel including some detailed stories of our past ports in places like Sierra Leone, and how the people in Abu Dhabi can get involved. The couple that I'm standing next to in the second to last picture were members of the church, originally from England and Spain, who took me and three other guys out to the Crowne Plaza for lunch where I was able to enjoy amazing Chinese food for the first time in a long, long while! Another highlight was taking an educational trip to Heritage Park where I learned about the ancient civilization that formerly settled there, birth of the unique Abu Dhabi culture, and after enough peer pressure from an American with a camcorder, swung from a tree...now onto Qatar.