Friday, December 18, 2009

Parika, Guyana Day 3: Finishing the water tank foundation.












Saturday morning started out like yesterday, except I gave up on the mosquito net at night in lieu of an ample breeze around my body via fan. After devotions, Roger grabbed me to start laying sand and water inside our foundation. Jaimee was busy with some other work, so we snagged Fabian to help us. Our plan was to lay more concrete once the the sand was fully packed tight. We were interrupted halfway through the project by a vigorous rain storm which lasted for about 20 minuets. The locals depend on the rain for showering, cooking, drinking, etc. After it collects in the gutters and into a holding tank, it is then pumped into a higher tank which is gravity fed for pressure. After the rain, I took a little break to watch some neighbor boys play cricket. I'm not schooled on the official rules of the game, but I'd assume the catcher is suppose to wear something over his underwear....maybe Parika rules are more lenient. Work then continued and we were able to finished smoothing out the concrete and Simone tagged a nice picture of the ship into the foundation. The others painted inside the new YWAM office, repaired a chicken coop, and more gardening on camp property. That night after dinner, Jaimee and I spent the evening playing more pool for free; this time on the same team.